international fashion show 2016

This London Fashion week was not just about Talks and Runways, While Olga and I ran around with celebrities it was also about Business and installations and so much more.
Now Fashion week has moved to Soho for the second second season running I always feel a bit nostalgic towards the loss of the space of Somerset House.



But in my relief The British Fashion Council  and the British Council celebrated London Fashion Week at Somerset House with there International Fashion Showcase 2016 in the West Wing Galleries.

With the theme being utopia celebrating the 500th anniversary of Thomas More's inspirational text the showcase brought together the optimistic visions of more then 80 designers from 24 countries to London, The exhibition covered five continents and was arranged by country each presenting a specially curated fashion installation in response to the theme utopia.

However there is plenty to write on the theme and the International Showcase but I will cut straight to the chaise so to speak and talk about my top Rooms with which countries installations inspired and excited me.

I must say before I give you my countdown I looked at each room first non biased and not looking at which room was from what country. 

This method of picking surprised me and delighted as countries I have a fondness for with links to family or friends sometimes I didn't land up picking and picked other rooms for my top 6 picks and was pleasantly surprised by the results.











SLOVAKIA: Designers included in this room Andrea Pokezdalova, Barbora Kubickova, Maros Baran,Petra Kubikova .


 


 These designers where all picked on the use or exemplifying Solvak craft traditions that help shape the countries eco system propelling the country into the future through fashion.








What I personally loved was the oversizing of the garments with the fusion of street wear and High fashion such as this oversized clutch feeling very Susie Bubble in the wearer.



My next stop around the world was ... GUATEMALA


The theme was rebooting dreams which invited vistors to rest in the dreamlike surroundings of the room while looking at traditional pattens of cloth reinterpreted in a moden way 


above is the celling covered in mini worry dolls in a cloud while below are some of my picks that captivated my attention.



The use of worry dolls turned into beautiful clutches grabbed my attention making a  touch of the spiritual side to the wearer via these clutches 





you guessed it CZECH REPUBLIC 
and I picked this room not only for my love of cats but also for the factor of there consideration of taste and questioning and challenging those boundaries 




Below I saw this on the wall in the exhibition and I was excited by this as we are using technology every day to communicate more and more even as I write this and you read this.

 below welcome to AUSTRIA







The combination of Pencil and shoe need I say anymore why I picked this 



moving onto EYGPT a country I once visited almost 10 years ago 









This was like something from Alexander McQueen  the Designers in this room drawn upon the inspiration of the Lotus flower and the identify of the tree of life to generate the idea of a better life a better Egypt which I found romantically touching and hopeful.

Moving onto my final destination which worked so well with London Fashion Weeks Punk Anniversary tilted Fashion School Rebels this collection was done by UKRAINE








Revolution, conflict and the economic crisis are all factors that inspired this collection what inspired me was the illustrations on the prints wearable, fun and edgy and thoughtful I thought this was a perfect one to end on.



Until Next time stay quirky and have fun 



Comments

Popular Posts