Sugar Mountain - Forest Hill

I am new  to the area and surprisingly delighted by south east London’s Forest Hill which has so much to offer, from the normal to the unexpected. Considering I went to school in South Norwood you think I be more familiar with the area, though that was over fifteen years ago and my  visits to the area consisted of trips to the Horniman museum which I have fond memories off..

Moving forward fifteen years plus to present day.I have spent my first month in the area enjoying what forest hill shows me as a adult.  From the obvious trips to the park to dining and drinking. I'm discovering there is so much more I want to share with you of this little south eastern gem of an area. Which leads to to the delight of nostalgia and modernity with the local sweet shop Sugar Mountain








Sugar Mountain – 57a Dartmouth Road, Forest Hill, London Se23 3hn.

Walking past the store many times and missing the times it was open continually I finally decided to make the effort to pop in and not just peer through the windows. Those many times I walked passed with my dog I wasn't peeking at the retro sweets but in fact the interior of the store.







Consisting of three mini themed mini booths inspired using the contents of the local and quirky Pauline who is the owner of Sugar Mountain she reflects her own personal nostalgia of her childhood. Visiting the store with Olga Chi we both agreed that the booths gave a sense of reminiscence to our childhoods. The three themes of the booths where Space, 80’s and Games, my favourite booth was the 80’s where we sat and shared some snapping candy really taking me back to a young age



The talk of your first cassette to what games you played all became the topic of the booth for both Olga, Pauline and I where I enjoyed seeing members of the area pop in talking to Pauline which shows me a beautiful sense of community  to Forest Hill, I felt less like I was in London and more like a small village in Cornwall. 

There was so much to take pictures of but I do not want to spoil the fun and games so to speak, what I will advise you is that they have a space booth and a retro games booth too full of novelty memorabilia to stare at and admire.

The owner Pauline was a delight to speak to as well, full of humour and stories. This is certainly somewhere I would recommend to stop by if you in the area no matter the age for a trip down memory lane or to show children in your life what you may have once been interested in I recommend you pop in to Sugar Mountain and experience the essence of the store yourself and let me know what you think. 

store opening times:

 
Monday Closed
Tuesday 10am–6pm
Wednesday 10am–6pm
Thursday 10am–6pm
Friday 10am–8pm
Saturday 10am–8pm
Sunday 10am–4pm

Some more pictures can be found on my Instagram @quirkydraws








Comments

Popular Posts