Buffy the vampire slayer is back

Like most who I personally know, my teenage years was not the best. This post isn’t about that you will be relieved to know it’s about the escapism of ‘Buffy the vampire slayer’ I always had through those years.  

I still remember when I first come across buffy on VHS in Blockbuster’s, boy I rented that first episode ‘welcome to the harvest’ way too many times. 

Then came the sweet release of the series on BBC2 at 645pm where I would run home to see the show (before the times of on demand tv) never missing an episode. Then came binge watching at the start before Netflix when boxsets where real boxsets on VHS. Cutting a long story short and feeling like a dinosaur as I write this introduction and moving to the point of the blog ...


Buffy has been rereleased set not from my 90’s days but in the present. Without giving anything away with the twists of the first I will say the reflection that willow is gay and no big coming out story impressed me so much. Giles is the same in it and they have kept the geeky side of Zander. I enjoyed reading this first episode so much, and the buffy rumour mill has been that Sarah Michelle Geller will reunite with the cast to do a joss whedon film. Everyone talks of the hope it will not be like the first ever buffy film, and I was so excited about this prospect until reading the comic rerelease of the show.


I’m now thinking the comic has captured everything the show had and doing it for a new audience, the nostalgic side of me will be following this, but now I question not only the casts age, will they be able to ever do a film now? 

Have they left it too long, not just their own age as they are no longer passing as teenagers, but we live in new times and  this is from the pre social media generation can they reflect the same energy? 


Even Dawn would be in her 30’s now or quite close, so yes I hope they bring it back but for now I am going to saviour on to this remake on comic format. If you have read it let me know when you think? 

Comments

Popular Posts