The process of my drawing in Margate

Something I wan to start doing is sharing why I do what pictures I do on my online store and what sell in cafes as my paintings and illustrations always have a meaning,
Discussing with someone the process of my latest piece it didn't just make me a sale but also s showed me like myself sometimes people like to know the process and also the story behind the image.

So my latest piece which is Ltd to only 3 in series 
To represent the 3 stages of this print from sketch to colour and final product

The colours used are reference to pop art and the play of kitsch with the seaside town of margate, Of a View of the visitors centre at the harbour where turner once lived and now holds the message " I never stopped loving you" in neon by Tracey Emin as can be seen in this digital sketch by myself.

The process involved life drawing on the beach to visiting the town to get colour inspiration and then finally re drawing on the iPad and digitally printed and signed and numbered by the artist and framed.



Frame size mounted 
16 X 18" 
Or 
41 X 20cm
Artwork and photo by myself

The process 

From a day trip to the seaside town and a visit to Turner contemporary which resulted in a idea that turned to this ...

Only 3 in series which I think is appropriate as I was inspired by 3 artists and worked on 3 processes to make the image
So the number 3 is quite important to me in this piece without sounding all sesame street about it.

The first sketch is working on my traditional method of drawing the harbour and the tourist information centre in Margate thinking of lady booth and Turner and the history of margate that's inspired so many and feels that it's got a little list these days.

The second sketch is applying colour and thinking of print and inspired by Tracey Emin the hardest park of the sketch was to incorporate her neon piece and make it legible to read at the scale saying " I never stopped loving you "

Thinking of the two and how margate was and the almost seedy seaside town it's become and now regeneration of margate making it almost the new Hoxton by sea,
Which isn't surprising considering the house prices I wanted to use the energy of dream land, candy floss and neon lights and fun fairs the idea of a sleazy weekend and kitsch all rolled together with sweat and bright images of a child what better way then to combine this quickness and my skill of working with digital and pen combined to make almost a Warhol homage to m own image and produce 3 X sets

So there it is the ideas behind the image
I hope you like the s little post
And feel free to click the link on the tool bar to see more of my art on sale.
And to just see what I'm up to not always pieces on sale but just creativity check my instagram
@quirkydaws
Which is all about my art and slightly different to my main instagram page @quirkygentleman

Stay quirky and
Share me your comments if you have any

Comments

Popular Posts